Friday, October 12, 2012

The Ultimate Decision


You are a female slave in the rural American South. Born into the institution, slavery is the only life you know. From the time you reached the age of logic and reasoning, societal surroundings have instilled notions of ignorance and inferiority into your dogmata.  You are not a human being. You are property and a price tag is put on your very existence. When the pressures of plantation life become too hard to bear, you decide to take a little vacation into the backwoods; however, you are caught. You are raped and beaten unmercifully with a whip.  Salt is poured into the wounds left behind from the lashes for an added sting. Lesson learned. You are the white man’s prisoner.
A few years later you are married and expecting a child. In your eyes, child birth is a miracle, a gift from The Big Man Upstairs. However, you know from the day this child is born it will live in a world where it will never be free. It will be considered property and yet another price tag will be placed upon someone’s existence. If it acts un-accordingly, it will be beaten, killed, or sold. Your miracle will live a life damned from hell. The inevitability of slavery is a fate worse than death itself. Nine months to the date, you have a little girl. Her eyes hold a sense of blissful, ignorance that is naïve to the life she has been cursed with. Flashbacks from your plight as a slave permeate your mind. Is this the type of life you want your gift from the divine to live? Unconventional thoughts trigger tears that flood your eyes. What is the lesser of the two evils? Do I let my child live to endure this hated life and experience the evils of a world from which I know I cannot protect her? Or do I end this life so delicate before it really has the chance to live?
Unfortunately the decision to end the life of their precious new bourns was a sad reality for several slave mothers throughout the South. Especially with the birth of little girls, some female slaves believed that seeing their daughters’ lives fall to the will of white male plantation owners was far worse than taking away their forsaken lives after the birth. If you were a female slave engrossed in a world of white supremacy, how would you handle the sake of your children?


3 comments:

  1. Taylor this vivid image of the situation that some women had to go through during this time is heart wrenching. As I try to imagine what I would do in this instance, it is almost impossible to decide. My gut feeling would be to alleviate them from the situation, however, I am not sure if I would be strong enough. The closest thing I could compare it to right now would be my niece and two nephews. Even the though of that is sickening, let alone if it were my own child. I commend those women that were strong enough and selfless enough to do what I would not be able to and take the life of my own child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kristen. You did a great job of making it feel real. Clearly, I am not a woman but the way you wrote this made me really think about the tough decisions these women faced. If I were her, I would probably have kept the child if only to have companionship and something to love through the rough times with the hope that slavery would end in her lifetime. I know for a majority of slaves that did not happen but on the off chance this baby girl was born in 1859, I would want to have her experience the joy, alongside me, in receiving my freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Seeing the images flow through my mind so vividly causes me to want to save and protect my child from this harsh world of slavery before she has the displeasure of experiencing it. However, like many others, I know I won't have the strength to do it. In this instance, I can only teach my child the ways of life in order to lessen the pain that she will experience later on in life. As an African American woman, I can see that mothers teach their daughters the ways of the world. Although we don't have the burden of slavery today, mothers teach other things of importance to aid in survival in the world. If I were a slave, I would naturally do the same.

    ReplyDelete